Being a mother is magical. It gives you the power to love someone before even meeting them. The real trauma is going through the delivery process, which mostly happens through two processes: Vaginal & C-Section. As you may know, C-sections are very hard on your body. They take a large toll on your abdominal muscles and pelvic floor and lead with excess weight which is very difficult to shred. In this article, we will talk about exercises after C Section delivery.
After pregnancy, every woman wishes to be in shape again as soon as possible. Try to make a post c section workout plan.
There are certain points which should be kept in mind before jumping to exercises after C section:
- Always check with a medical physician before beginning any kind of exercise after c section.
- Hydrate your body every time.
- Take your time and start slowly. Patience is the key.
- Breastfeeding is important. If you breastfeed your baby, you will lose weight faster than mothers who don’t do it.
- Avoid processed food & eat healthier.
- Walking after C section.
- ‘Me and you’ time between you and your partner.
Let’s take a brief look at the exercises after C Section:
1. ABDOMINAL EXERCISES AFTER C SECTION
- Pelvic tilts: Lie on your back on a mat with your knees bent at an angle of 90 degrees, feet on the floor. Tilt your hips towards your upper body and engage your core as you raise your butt about an inch off the floor. The gap should be closed between the floor and the curve of your lower back. Hold the position for few seconds and then release. Repeat at least 5 times.
- Modified or full side plank: The side plank involves the inner core muscles and will help your belly not to bulge out. Start with a side plank with your knees bent on the mat as you lift your body into a plank position on your side. This exercise is a very effective exercise after c section to reduce tummy.
- Wall sit: Stand with your back at the wall. Lean against the wall and go into a sitting position with your knees bent in a 90-degree angle. Be in the same position for as long as possible. Repeat 5 times.
2. PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES AFTER C SECTION
- Squats: Stand with your feet slightly wider than the shoulder-width. Bend your knees and squat down with your hips pushing back as if you are about to sit on a chair. Hold the position once your thighs are parallel to the ground. Put your weight on your heels. Slowly straighten your legs. Repeat 5 times.
- Bridge: Give it a start by lying on your back on a mat, knees bent at a 90-degree angle, feet on the floor. Push through your heels; raise your hips off the floor, and engaging your pelvic floor muscles. A straight line should be formed from your shoulder to the knees. Hold for a few seconds, then release. Repeat 8-10 times, then rest for one minute and perform another set.
3. YOGA AFTER CAESAREAN DELIVERY
When you make yoga and meditation a part of your daily routine, you become more approachable to your body and your child. Here are some poses of yoga after c section:
- Neck stretch: Sit in a cross leg position, inhale, and slowly turn your head to the right till your neck feel stretched. Stay in the same position, take a deep breath, and return to normal.
- Shoulder stretch: Sit in a cross leg position and keep your hands straight on the side. Bring your shoulders forward slowly towards your earlobes without moving your arms, specifically in one rotation. Continue moving it backward and then downwards. Repeat the movement and reverse it.
- Feet stretch: Rest both your hands and knees on the mat. Slowly take your hands back towards your back till your hips touch the heels of your feet. Now continuing in the same position, straighten your back. You must be sitting straight with the hand on the thighs, and hips on the heels of your feet. The feet will feel stretched. Hold the position for some seconds before relaxing.
- Chest stretch: Sit straight in a cross leg position. Keep your back straight and arms on the side. Close your eyes, relax, inhale, expanding your chest and abdomen. Hold for 5 seconds and exhale and repeat.
EXERCISES AFTER C SECTION TO BE AVOIDED:
- Jumping related exercises
- Any exercise that pulls or put weight on your scar and causes pain.
- Heavy exercise classes such as Zumba, etc.
Motherhood is meant to be celebrated every day and this can be done only when you are strong mentally and physically. The weight will shred, just a little patience is required. Accept your weight as it is. It will make the exercises after c section much easy. Hope you will do these exercises after cesarean delivery.
[Read Effective Tips to Lose Weight After Pregnancy]
Happy Parenting! Stay Healthy!
Author: Kratika Ajmani | Banker by Profession | Writer by Passion | New Mommy on board