Wondering how to create bonding with a newborn baby! Baby massage is one of the best ways to build a bond of love with your newborn. Massage is a valuable and delightful activity for both of you. It has as many benefits for the baby as it has for adults. All this corresponds to the type of baby oil you pick for massage. So, it is important to choose the best baby oil for massage.
Before selecting the best baby oil for massage, you should know the benefits of baby massage.
10 Benefits of Baby Massage
- Baby massage is one of the best ways to enhance the bonding process and show love to your baby.
- It soothes a fretful baby and calms down an unsettled baby easily as it gives pleasure.
- A baby starts recognizing the routine when he gets massage daily.
- It helps to calm hyperactive and an excited toddler as it relieves the anxiety.
- The relaxing effects of massage calm down the nerves.
- It allows you to get used to handling your newborn in a short span of time.
- It also eases minor digestive upsets such as wind and constipation in babies.
- Massage helps in making your newborn’s skin smooth and soft.
- Using appropriate baby oil for massage during harsh winters will lock in the moisture of the skin.
- Baby massage is a sensual experience for you and your baby as babies need skin-to-skin touch where they can feel your warmth.
Once you are aware of the benefits of baby massage, you might have thoughts on how to massage baby with oil. Here are some preparatory tips for a baby massage you can follow.
How to choose the best baby massage oil?
The most common question asked by new mothers, “Which is the best baby massage oil?”
Here we are sharing the list of best 9 baby oils for massage which you can use.
All the babies are unique and have a different type of skin such as dry, oily, normal or sensitive. All baby oils have benefits uniquely catered to them but you must select the baby oil for massage according to the weather and skin of your baby.
- I would suggest you use baby oil for massage suggested by your doctor according to your baby’s skin.
- Always use products that are made for babies with a specific formulation.
- Avoid using strong fragrance baby oils.
- Make sure you use essential oils in diluted form. Never apply essential oils directly on the skin.
- Mineral oils should be avoided.
- You can do a patch test by applying some oil on the wrist of your baby. Rub it gently and see for 2-3 hours, if it irritates or fine for your baby.
- Avoid using baby oil for massage that gives rashes onto your baby’s skin.
Which Baby Oil for Massage is good during summers?
- Coconut oil is the best baby oil for massage used during summer and humid weather.
- It gives a cooling effect on the baby’s body.
- It is lighter in texture.
- Easily absorbed by the skin.
- It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Coconut oil contains anti-oxidants.
- It also treats sensitive skin problems like rashes, eczema, cradle cap, and dermatitis.
- Cold pressed coconut oils are considered pure as these are not processed, refined or deodorized.
The best coconut oils you can try for baby massage:
It is the most used coconut oil that stands for its purity. We have been using it in our home for ages. It is made up of the coconuts of the finest quality. The 5 stage purification process ensures long-lasting freshness.
It is cold pressed, organic, unrefined, unbleached, and non-sticky coconut oil extracted from fresh coconuts.
It has strong anti-fungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. Therefore, Maxcare Coconut Oil is used for baby massage and to get rid of cradle cap and nappy rashes.
- Sesame is popularly known as TIL in India, which is one of the healthy ingredients.
- It is also known as an ayurvedic massage oil for baby.
- Oil extracted from black sesame seeds is good for baby massage.
- It is recommended for strong bones.
Which Baby Oil for Massage is good during winters?
- Olive oil for baby massage is one of the topmost recommendations by doctors.
- It is popularly known as ‘Liquid Gold’.
- It is a liquid fat obtained from olives (jaitoon).
- Olive oil is rich in Vitamin E.
- It is the best baby massage oil in winter.
- For sensitive skin, olive oil is not advisable. You can use other baby oils for massage.
- Olive oil has properties that enhance permeability of the skin.
The best olive oils you can try for baby massage:
It is imported from Spain and used for hair, skin, and cooking. My doctor recommended Figaro Oil at the time of birth of my daughter during winters. It has the goodness of pure olives. I used this olive oil for baby massage and my own body massage.
It is a chemical-free blend of olive oil and sunflower oil. It is recommended for young and old due to its therapeutic uses.
This baby oil is enriched with the natural goodness of almonds and olives both. It helps in strengthening of muscles and bones of the baby. It is a paraffin-free product which includes Jojoba, Sesame, Sunflower, Almonds, and Olives.
- It is the most common baby oil used for massage during winters.
- Almond oil is loaded with Vitamin E, protein, fatty acids, zinc, potassium, and other minerals.
- It helps in strengthening and developing bones.
The best almond oils you can try for baby massage:
It is the best baby massage oil in winter that keeps the body warm. Sweet Almond Oil for baby massage is appropriate for infants. It helps build stronger bones and strengthens brain power. It is also considered good for the heart and to relieve constipation.
It is 100% pure sweet almond oil for baby massage. It is extracted from the best quality almonds. Dabur Almon Oil is comparatively less thick.
It is refined almond oil and not virgin or cold pressed. It is rich in Vitamin E and used for its healing properties.
- During winters, mustard oil is the best for baby massage due to its warm effect on the body.
- It should always be used with a base.
- Massage of mustard oil mixed with carom seeds soothes colicky babies.
- It is believed that massage of mustard oil heated with garlic cloves and fenugreek seeds boosts the immune system of babies.
- Use it after cooling it down to room temperature.
- Usually, people use it less due to its pungent odor.
Which Baby Oil for Massage is good for sensitive skin?
- It has a soothing effect on the baby’s skin.
- It can be safely used after bath also.
- Calendula oil has a natural mild fragrance.
- Castor oil is used before giving a bath to the baby.
- It is used majorly to treat dry hair, skin, and nails.
- It is good for newborn babies with sensitive skin.
- Doctors recommend chamomile oil for colicky babies.
- It helps babies to relax and get sound sleep.
- It is also used to treat skin breakouts and rashes.
Tea Tree Oil
- Tea tree oil is a natural oil.
- It has high antiseptic properties.
- It helps in relaxing unsettled babies.
- Tea tree oil is also used to treat many skin allergies.
- Always use a few drops of essential oil dilutes with any base carrier oil.
The best herbal/mineral oils you can try for baby massage:
Himalaya baby massage oil is easily absorbed by the skin and lightweight. It is used for both, pre-bathing massage and post-bathing massage. Himalaya Herbals Baby Massage Oil is a non-sticky, multi-purpose oil. I have heard that a few babies get rashes with its massage. So, it is not recommended for sensitive skin. Himalaya baby massage oil is enriched with aloe vera, olives, and winter cherry.
It is a mild baby massage oil and perfect for sensitive skin. It is made in Germany with 95% soy oils and 5% wheat germ oil. Sebamed massage oil is a non-greasy baby oil for massage. It is a bit expensive but worth buying and best massage oil for newborn baby with sensitive skin.
It is a paraben-free, hypoallergenic, colorant free, and mineral oil free product. It is formulated with calming organic calendula, sunflower oil, and sweet almond oil. This dermatologically tested oil protects your baby’s extra delicate skin from dryness.
Mama earth baby oil for massage is 100% natural and non-greasy. Its core ingredients are virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, cold-pressed sesame seeds oil, sweet almond oil, lavender oil, jojoba oil, and chamomile oil. It doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals and no synthetic fragrance. The natural mild fragrance is due to the essential oils used.
Johnson baby massage oil is formulated for newborn baby massage. It has a delicate floral fragrance. Most of mom’s trust Johnson baby massage oil for its gentle formula. It is 100% clinically proven and allergy tested.
It is a high-quality baby oil that nourishes baby’s skin and hair, strengthens the bones. It is enriched with natural ingredients of chamomile oil and olive oil. I use it throughout summers due to its non-greasy feature. It is recommended for newborns and grownup babies. Its hypoallergenic formula ensures it to be safe for sensitive skin.
Also Read: Best Baby Toiletries
The best ayurvedic oils you can try for baby massage:
This oil is infused with 10 sacred flowers in the purest of virgin coconut oil. It stimulates the sensory and motor nerve endings, optimizes the peripheral circulation, removes dead skin and also regularizes hair growth.
It is an ayurvedic baby oil for massage used in most of the traditional households. It has natural herbs that give it a bit harsh fragrance with no harmful side effects. Dabur Lal Tail is the best massage oil for newborn baby in Ayurvedic section.
Hope the list of baby oil for massage is helpful for you. Have more to add to the list of best baby oil for massage? Please share your best baby oil for massage with us in the comments section below.
Wish you a very Happy and Healthy Parenting!