We always aspire to have long and shiny hair. To keep our hair healthy is a task for us. We often get worried the moment we see a bunch of hair on our brushes or while washing around the drain. That very moment when we see them, our numbed senses even start dreaming about getting hair fall. And in morning often we wake up with the thought what if..? But often we overestimate the situation. We start working and finding hair fall remedies from home remedies to the expensive salon treatment. By the time we reach an expert we have already done enough research and tried all the known treatments.
Understand what are hairs? How does it grow?
To understand and treat we have to understand what exactly hairs are composed of. Hairs are mainly composed of the protein called keratin, also found in skin and nails. The growth of hair in an individual is cyclic.
The cycle of a Hair follicle
There are three phases of hair follicle growth: anagen, catagen & telogen.
- The anagen phase is the phase of active growth, so the length of hair depends upon the duration of this phase. For scalp hair, it lasts from few to several years and less for hair on other parts of the body.
- When the anagen phase end, it enters the short transitional phase known as catagen. Hair stop growing in the catagen phase and it lasts about 2-3 weeks.
- After the transitional phase hair enters into the telogen phase i.e, the resting phase. It lasts about 3 months. After resting phase, old hair falls and is replaced by new hair follicle which follows the same cycle.
At one time, not all hair follicles enter into the same phase. Some hair will enter growth, few in transitional and rest into the resting phase, while few will fall out. Normally up to 100 hairs fall in a day. We all know this fact but we do not want to accept it. Because when we see the number of hairs falling, we forget everything and start seeking out a remedy. We should find the cause first.
Different types of hair fall
Hair fall occurs in the different pattern and we have to understand that. Different types depend upon the cause like diffuse alopecia, androgenic alopecia and alopecia areata.
- Androgenic alopecia is male pattern baldness. It is the backward recession of frontal hairline with widening forehead. Sometimes, it may start from the vertex.
- Alopecia areata is the loss of hair in bunches usually seen in children and young adults. It frequently occurs in association with the autoimmune diseases.
- And last is the diffuse alopecia which is encountered in day to day practice.
What is diffuse hair loss?
We can call it hair fall commonly. It is usually due to shortening of the growth phase and premature entering into the resting phase. The major cause for hair fall is the variety of stress and strains can be physical and mental also. Few common causes are pregnancy, a prolonged acute illness like typhoid, other fevers, anemia, blood loss, a sudden reduction in food intake as in crash diet.
Other systemic diseases like thyroid dysfunction, deficiencies of protein, vitamins or trace elements like vitamin B, C, iron, zinc, selenium, over supplementation of vitamins. The mental stress of any kind shock, trauma, and the list are endless. It requires nearly 3 months after such an episode of stress, hairs start falling out. We have to recognize which one is there for ourselves.
Hair fall management
- Do refrain yourself from washing or brushing your hair often.
- Cleaning and brushing hair is essential for the circulation of a scalp.
- Do not tie your hair too tightly.
- Do not brush hair while they are still wet, as it weakens hair roots.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Adequate healthy diet is another factor which should include dairy products, fruits, and green leafy vegetables.
- Physical activity is required to keep you healthy and happy as it releases happy hormones.
- Indulge in some yoga, aerobics, Zumba or dance moves and do some meditation to keep you calm.
- Do not fall for those crash diet tricks to shed those extra kilos! Slow and steady wins the race.
Hair fall after an acute disease will get better as soon as you will recover from it completely. In addition to these things if you think it requires some treatment, then Homoeopathy can be really helpful.
Homeopathy and hair fall remedies
Homeopathy believes in individualization and in simple words it is customized and tailor-made according to the need of a person. We do not prescribe in terms of just hair fall, it requires a detailed knowledge about you as a person and your problems. Then only a suitable medicine for a person as a whole is prescribed.
There are several medicines that work on hair fall and according to the different causes some are mentioned as follows:
- Arnica: Present troubles caused by the injuries- remote or recent. Traumatism of grief, remorse or sudden realization of financial loss. Local use of Arnica mixed with oil is used for the treatment of baldness and promoting hair growth.
- Carbo vegetablis – Hair fall when not recovered from previous illness.
- Fluoric acidicum – Premature aging, more hair prematurely turning into a resting phase and falling out. Along with increased acrid perspiration with itching.
- Graphites– Particular tendency to develop the skin phase of internal disorders. Hairs fall with eruptions and oozing moist discharges.
- Natrum muraticum- Hair loss with a psychic cause like grief, anger, fright. After acute diseases like fever, anemia or in thyroid disorders. Also hair loss after pregnancy.
- Phosphoric Acidicum – Hair falls after acute diseases, grief, blood loss, lactation etc. along with mental debility.
- Phosphorus-Itching of scalp, dandruff, falling out of hair in large bunches. Hair loss caused by emotional causes & loss of blood.
- Sepia. – Medicine especially for the female complaints in pregnancy, delivery, lactation, and menopause. Scalp and roots of the hair are very sensitive to touch.
- Thyroidinum- This remedy has a special effect on the growth of new hair specifically when in thyroid dysfunction.
This list is based on individual experience and can be different according to a Physician. Indications are not the sole guide for the treatment of hair fall and these are just a few of the guiding symptoms for a prescription. In my suggestion, it’s always good to take medicine prescribed by your Doctor only. Homeopathy does not have side effects its true but taking any medicine without prescription may not give you positive effects.
I hope this article was helpful in solving your queries regarding hair fall. If you still have more queries, I will try to solve. Please drop your queries in the comments section below.
|Author Bio: Dr Tanya Aggarwal apart from being a full-time doctor, she loves to read, write, bake and do art & craft. She loves reading about the human psychology, graphology and believes that these things are helpful for understanding patients and helping them to heal better.|
Wish you a very Happy and healthy Parenting!