Neem tree is native to India and is also known by the name of “Azadirachta Indica”. Neem tree is famous for its health benefits and medicinal properties. The benefits of neem oil, leaves, seeds, roots, and its bark are well explained in Ayurveda. Neem Tree denotes good health due to its magical properties and herbal importance.
Our elders used to have all the home remedies on their tips for all our problems amongst which neem was on top of the list. Neem was one of the best curing agents for various illnesses and ailments. The long list of benefits of neem oil is also backed by various researches.
Neem Oil is extracted similarly to any other vegetable oil from its seed or fruit. It has a strong and pungent aroma. The two major compounds in Neem Oil are:
The different colors of neem oil such as golden-yellow, green-brown or dark-brown are due to its different methods of extraction.
Usage and benefits of Neem Oil and other parts of Neem Tree:
- Chewing of neem stem is used as nature’s toothbrush – good for overall oral health.
- Neem seed cake is used as fertilizer.
- Neem oil treats skin disorders due to its detoxifying properties.
- Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial leaves of neem are soaked in water. It can be used to bathe or cleaning the home to get rid of germs and bacteria.
- The paste of neem leaves is applied on the skin to treat pimples and other skin breakouts.
- Neem leaves are burned to ward off mosquitoes and insects.
- Neem tea and capsules are prescribed to increase immunity.
- It is also used as a hair conditioner and to treat dandruff.
- The antiseptic neem oil is used to heal wounds and scars.
- The fatty acids and vitamins in neem oil are helpful in moisturizing skin.
- Neem bark paste is used to treat burns and cuts.
- It is used in various organic cosmetics as a base.
Benefits of Neem Oil for hair:
- Neem oil maintains the PH level of scalp making it healthier.
- It helps to improve the hair texture by adding more shine.
- Neem oil helps to get rid of lice.
- It accelerates hair growth.
- It treats frizzy hair by untangling them easily.
- Neem oil is also helpful to treat any infection on the scalp.
Benefits of Neem Oil for skin:
- Neem oil serum is used as an anti-aging product to reduce wrinkles on the skin.
- Eczema symptoms can be treated by using neem oil.
- By stimulating collagen, neem oil helps in smoothening of skin.
- Neem oil could act as the best moisturizer for dry and sensitive skin.
- Neem oil is also helpful in treating psoriasis and itching problems.
- It helps to combat bacteria and thus the best remedy to treat skin breakouts, pimples or acne.
- The diluted neem oil helps to get rid of blackheads.
- Neem oil tightens the skin pores and could also treat scars.
- Neem oil tones the skin very well and gives a younger look.
- It also slows down the skin pigmentation.
- Both compounds of neem oil have the ability to treat any kind of fungal infection.
- Good neem oil can also treat warts, ringworms, herpes, moles or cold sores.
- Minor inflamed wounds could be healed by applying neem oil.
Benefits of Neem Oil for Plants:
- It is a non-toxic pesticide for plants.
- Neem oil is used as a fungicide and could prevent black spot, root rot or sooty mold.
- It is used as the best and safest insecticide.
- Neem oil is the best repellent for mites.
How to use neem oil foliar spray?
- Conduct a patch test for plants as we do for our skin.
- For proper seeping, either apply neem oil in the evening or in indirect sunlight.
- Avoid application during extreme temperatures – too hot or too cold.
- You can use neem oil insecticide once a week.
- Use in diluted form to avail the maximum benefits of neem oil – with water or any other oil.
- Before consumption, make sure you wash your produce thoroughly.
Is neem oil safe for use?
After reading the multiple benefits of neem oil, you can see that neem oil is safe for use by humans, plants, and animals due to its non-toxic and herbal properties.
Neem oil is a multi-purpose oil due to its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and antiseptic properties. It can be used for pest control, home hygiene, healthy skin, healthy hair, oral health, and the list goes on.
How to store neem oil?
The benefits of neem oil could be availed only when it is stored properly in a cool and dark place. More heat can destroy the major compound of neem oil – Azadirachtin.
Can we apply neem oil directly on skin or scalp?
Neem oil should never be applied directly to the skin. It should always be diluted with coconut oil or almond oil before applying on the skin. You can always do a patch test before using neem oil. Stop the usage in case of any allergy or hypersensitivity is visible.
Hope you liked this article on the benefits of neem oil! Have more benefits of neem oil to add to the list? Please share any more usage and benefits of neem oil with us in the comments section below.
[Read Mosquito Protection]
Wish you healthy and happy parenting!