Yoga is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Yuj’ meaning to ‘unite’ or ‘join’. It is the union of mind, body, and soul. Yoga started thousands of years ago in India. The word first appeared in the Rig Veda. The physical and mental benefits of yoga should be taught to kids from an early age.
Children of all age groups should do yoga. For a healthy lifestyle, yoga should be done regularly. So, the earlier you start, the better it is.
Benefits of Yoga
These days even kids have a high-stress level due to so many reasons. Hence, it is really important for kids to learn the benefits of yoga and practice it from an early age. Healthy habits once developed goes with them for the lifetime. These will help them in every phase of life.
The yoga aims at uniting the mind, body, and soul. So, here are the 10 benefits of yoga for kids.
- Improves concentration and mind power.
- Helps in growth and development of the body.
- Develops discipline and healthy habits.
- Helps to maintain the energy level.
- Increases self-confidence.
- Reduces anxiety, stress, and depression.
- Enhances strength, flexibility, body awareness, and coordination.
- Improves sense of relaxation and calmness.
- Helps with emotional regulation and cognitive focus.
- Keeps happy and charming.
Yoga during summers
During summers we try all the best possible ways to stay away from scorching heat. Summer season leaves us exhausted mentally and physically both. Yoga is one of the ways to reduce the effect of summer on our mind and body.
Preparing for yoga – things you need
- A yoga mat
- Comfortable clothes
- A bottle of filtered water
- Fresh air
Tips for doing yoga
- Early morning is the best time to do yoga.
- It can also be done with an empty stomach in evening.
- Do yoga with a calm mind.
- It should be practiced regularly.
- Learn yoga from a trained instructor or a teacher.
- Select a place with clean and fresh air to do yoga.
- Try to choose an open space where you can get natural light and air.
- If you are doing yoga in a room, do it near an open window.
- Wear comfortable clothes in which you can comfortably stretch, move, and sweat.
- Drink lots of water before few hours of practicing yoga. So, when you’ll sweat while doing yoga, the water level in your body will be maintained.
- Focus on breathing.
Breathing in yoga
The way you breathe in and breathe out decides the health of your body and mind. So, practice good breathing in two steps – inhale and exhale.
Inhale (Breathing in fresh air)
- Sit in a quiet place with fresh air around you.
- Close your eyes and focus on your breathing.
- Inhale fresh air through nostrils.
- Expand your lungs.
Exhale (Breathing out bad air)
- Slowly exhale or release the air of your lungs from the nose and mouth.
- Feel your lungs reduce in size.
- Repeat this cycle of good breathing.
Have more benefits of yoga to add? If yes, please share with us in the comments section below.
Wish you a very Happy Parenting and International Yoga Day!